- Posted by J. Nirdosh Reddy
- On October 18, 2018
- Process Improvement
The world we live in has changed dramatically over the past three decades. Whether we like it or not, globalization of markets is a reality and the marketplace is becoming increasingly competitive – generally speaking, gone are the days of protectionism, isolationism and monopoly, and the associated inefficiencies and fat profit margins.
In this buyers’ market, being competitive – locally, regionally and globally – is vital for survival and growth.
Are these business realities keeping you up at night?
If so, chances are that you and your colleagues are working very hard, and yet the results are not quite satisfactory. The questions faced by senior managers are:
- How does an organization survive and prosper in these fast-changing times?
- How does an organization develop a sustainable competitive edge?
There is a way to overcome the above challenges.
It is possible to sustain excellence and higher levels of profitability, simultaneously.
Culture of an enterprise
Management practices world-wide have evolved. The culture of an enterprise has emerged as the differentiator between the winners and the also rans. The Harvard Business Review, in its January 2018 issue, covers the culture factor at length and states “Employee attitudes can make or break your business”.
High performance enterprises of today have adopted a different work culture – a holistic approach, dismantling silos, working together in teams, and managing processes – that differs from the conventional style of management as shown below:
Conventional style of management
Emerging style of management
Transformation is possible
A CEO or a Business Head can transform the work culture of their enterprises to the emerging style and thus improve and sustain profitability and business excellence by following the steps listed below:
Change the mindset of the leadership team to:
- Holistic thinking – optimize the entire enterprise, not departments
- Constancy of purpose for improvement of systems and processes
Adopt the 6 guiding principles of the Anaar Roadmap:
- Salaries are paid by satisfied customers
- Results come from processes
- Continually improve processes
- Manage with facts, not opinions
- Management must establish priorities
- Involve everyone through teamwork
Institute process-based management practices; more specifically:
- Define organizational processes and identify internal customers
- Establish a system to review processes regularly
- Adopt process-based annual planning
- Nurture a continual improvement methodology
- Revamp performance appraisal to reward teamwork and process management
Drive the change process:
- One person, at the right place (at or near the top), can make a difference. “Whether you think you can or you can’t, you are absolutely right” – Henry Ford
- Institute regular reviews – keep in mind that what gets reviewed gets done (daily activities of employees will change if you do this).
- Make working together a way of life.
- Instill a passion for excellence for your services and customer satisfaction.
“Whether you think you can or you can’t, you are absolutely right” – Henry Ford
Typical difficulties faced during the transformation
- Changing habits, especially at (senior) supervisory levels. We are creatures of habit. It is hard to let go of the normal tendency to manage people and move toward managing processes through people.
- Staying the course of the changes we begin. Short term distractions.
Our experience has shown that with proper guidance and the use of the web-based APRS, Anaar’s process documentation system, these difficulties can be overcome.
Web APRS – a process-centric tool
Digital technology is ubiquitous
- Internet technology is connecting employees like never before
- Digitization is in full swing
Web APRS is an enterprise-wide process management tool that combines internet technology and process-based thinking. It is designed to help enterprises develop, refine, integrate, document and manage their operations for:
- ISO 2015 certification, and
- Sustaining profitability and business excellence
For your enterprise, is it time to hit Refresh?
Embrace the change to an improved work culture, and create a better future for your enterprise!
You can create a new business reality for your enterprise
By transforming the work culture of your enterprise to the emerging style, you can:
- Improve and, more importantly, sustain profitability
- Improve customer satisfaction
- Create a new business reality for your enterprise that fosters:
Your enterprise becomes an exciting place to work, not merely a place to earn a salary!